Monday, July 9, 2012

Day 22—“ No hay piscina durante una semana.”





Another typical rainy season day:  Overcast, heavy dark clouds on the horizon, the rumbling of a distant thunderstorm…and hot and muggy.

We headed out to have lunch because Sean has found this restaurant that serves good sausages (i.e. brats). I decided I was game, and as usual, we drag Emma kicking and screaming.  So we finally find the place, and I have to confess, it was too much of a dive for me.  I was like, “This is the Place?” and then Emma starts in (because to the restaurant’s credit it was packed with cars in front).  “I’m not going here! I can’t eat in front of people!There are too many people here!” Oh my god, she is so weird (really she’s not, she’s just 13, and incredibly self-conscious).  So after a minute or two of debating, we ended up going to... I will give everyone a second or two to vote on where we ended up eating…


If you voted for McDonald’s you would be right…ding! ding! ding! (At this point I never want to look at a McDonald’s again, much less eat at one).  I think the aversion therapy is working! To me the burger patties at McDonalds here in Panama are super salty, and extremely tough and rubbery.  Really, it is pretty repulsive.  But Emma has decided to trade her pink slime obsession for a Big Mac Obsession.  

And not only Emma, but most of Panama.  Panamanian’s seem to LOVE McDonalds as much as Americans.  Every time we go, or drive by, the place is packed.  Even at the mall, McDonald’s and KFC have the longest lines of all the fast food places.   

I mentioned before that the bread seems better here in Panama.  I suspect it is the humidity that keeps it moist and fresh tasting.  But the beef is not better.  The beef here is all grass fed, and extremely lean, which tends to give it a weird gamey taste, and make it rubbery and dry.  When I made burgers at the villa, I tried to compensate for that but using a Barefoot Contessa tip: putting a pat of butter in the middle of the patties.  It seemed to help, but still, it isn’t exactly what we are used to.  We even tried to eat steaks again, because the first time they were quite good, and remember, I got three decent sized steaks for $5.00!  The cut actually looks quite a bit like a New York steak cut, but it is not.  The second time we had steak, it tasted ok, but it was extremely tough and chewy, so we have finally given up on eating beef here, and are eating only chicken from the store, which tastes like what we are used to.

The pork, which we have not tried, looks really strange.  It looks pre-frozen, and the cuts are unfamiliar. 

Sean has really enjoyed the Ceviche he’s been ordering (I am too big of a chicken to try it, but he hasn’t been sick yet.) And of course the fresh langostino’s are really good.  I bet even the corvina (which is a local fish) would taste good. 

So when we returned from our less than satisfying lunch, we were getting out of the car, and Dimas, the caretaker,  approached our car and said something in Spanish.  Sean just shook his head, and I asked, “¿Que?” But Dimas decided it was too much effort to try to get us to understand (probably rightfully so), and he called a Señor Romero, and had him explain to us that the pool was being shut down for a week due to a broken pump.

WHAAAT?  The pool is the only redeeming thing about this vacation (Well that and the view of the ocean, but a view isn’t going to cool you off!)  Are you friggin’ kidding ME! It’s like I should call this blog 26 days of being jinxed in Panama, but maybe this is just what happens in an emerging first world country? Hakuna Matata. Es no Problema…We were so bummed.  It was an exceptionally muggy day, and we were looking forward to cooling off in the pool, and now we were stuck.  I decided to take a cool shower, and then turn the air on in the villa to bring the humidity (and heat) down.  Thank goodness, I had downloaded a new book. Sean just sat forlornly saying,

“When he’s not looking, I’m going to jump in!” and “When do you want to go back in to the city?”

 I replied, “Remember, there is no hot water in the city.”

“I don’t care; there is only intermittent hot water here!  At least there is a pool to swim in!”

Poor Sean, he loved the pool even more than I did.

I felt sorry for those couples that had just arrived at the villa.  For one of their two weeks, there wasn’t going to be a pool to swim in.  At least we were almost at the end of our vacation, and we had the pool at the city apartment. 

So, Sean and I decided that if the next day was  a nice day, we would spend it at the beach, and then head in to the city on Sunday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment